Santiago de Cali, March 11, 2020
The Riopaila Castilla Agroindustrial Group continues its commitment to sustainability with the use of technologies to care for the environment
- The Company has industrial wastewater treatment systems in place at each of its two production plants, Riopaila and Castilla, which receive and treat all its effluents in order to ensure that discharges return to the ecosystems in the best conditions.
- These systems are made up of different types of lagoons, whose water mirrors, in addition to treating residual water, serve as a temporary passageway for some species of aquatic birds, demonstrating the harmony of operational activities with biodiversity, within the company.
- Some species identified have been: American Stilt, Ani Garrapatero and Colorado Duck; the latter is classified, according to its conservation status, in danger of extinction according to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, IUCN, for its acronym in English.
- As part of its commitment to sustainability, Riopaila Castilla SA has implemented new technologies, one of which has been the implementation of the Extended Aeration System at the Castilla Plant, with the aim of optimizing the industrial wastewater treatment process in its lagoons, providing better conditions for these species.
- Carlos Augusto Gómez Restrepo, Sustainability Manager, adds that: “In addition, it generatessavings of the 60% approximately in energy consumption, since this new system has a lower energy requirement for its operation compared to the previous mechanical aeration system”.
- It also provides a substantial improvement of 240% in oxygen transfer efficiency in the last stage of water treatment. With this contribution, it is expected to optimize the results in the quality of the discharges.
- With this technological implementation, Riopaila Castilla continues to demonstrate its firm commitment to sustainability, adopting strategies to reduce pollution, as part of its mega environmental goal, responding through this practice to the Sustainable Development Goal # 6: Clean Water and Sanitation.
Catalina Aristizabal Mejia
Head of Communications
Riopaila Castilla Agroindustrial Group
Cell: 314 7847663