Slide Background
More than 100 years
cultivating trust,
development and future


The fuel alcohol distillery began operations in August 2015, with a daily production capacity of 400,000 liters of alcohol. This plant works in total harmony with the sugar production plant and was the first alcohol project in Colombia to be established as a Special Permanent Free Trade Zone. At the end of 2018, Destilería Riopaila generated operating income of $109,404 million, of which 69.1% corresponds mainly to sales of fuel alcohol to wholesale distributors (first semester) and the remaining 30.9% to income from service of maquila (second semester). Its production during this year was 85,957,780 liters of alcohol.

The plant uses cane juice and molasses for its production process, and the vinasse that is produced is concentrated and used to produce a liquid organic mineral fertilizer, which is applied to cane crops to provide them with the nutrients they need for proper development and yield, returning to the field the nutrients that the cane absorbs during its growth, closing the sustainable cycle between the field and the manufacturing plant.

The ethanol distillery is an environmentally sustainable alternative, which responds to the Group's commitment to sustainability and is a clear contribution to reducing the country's dependence on fossil fuels and conserving Colombia's reserves of energy sources. non-renewable sources such as oil, thereby contributing to national energy security. Also, due to its characteristics, ethanol makes its combustion cleaner, helps to mitigate the effects of global warming since it reduces greenhouse gas emissions compared to fossil fuels (studies mention a reduction of 74% compared to gasoline it replaces).

Riopaila SAS Distillery complies with the alcohol quality requirements demanded by control entities and has the Icontec product certification under resolution 0789 of May 20, 2016 of the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development and Ministry of Mines and Energy. Also complying with environmental requirements, it obtains the greenhouse gas emission inventory opinion each year with an accredited certifying entity. For the year 2017, this inventory was 455 kg CO2 equiv/m3 denatured anhydrous ethanol, well below the requirement of the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, which for this same year is 924 kg CO2 equiv/m3 denatured anhydrous ethanol.
In this way, the company has been characterized as a visionary company, which thanks to its drive and strong decision, has contributed to Colombian agro-industrial development. His time in livestock farming, in the sugar industry and recently in biofuels, cogeneration and fruit trees, sectors in which he has made valuable contributions, are a reflection of the spirit of the organization, willing to take risks that, in addition to bringing benefits to the business, result in benefits and comprehensive development for the country.

Ethanol production process

Dispensed alcohol quality results report
Riopaila Distillery